Spring Shred Day, Saturday, May 11
Saturday, May 11th, 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM*
*Or until truck is full
Park Avenue Branch (Located at 2019 Emmorton Rd in Bel Air)
Bring your financial documents to shred, and stop by our table to enter to win a $50.00 Visa gift card! (View Shred Day Drawing Disclosures)
– Please limit the number of boxes to 4
– No business materials
– Please remove any metal (Staples are ok)
Join Us for Our 2019 Annual Meeting
Members are welcome to join Freedom’s President and CEO, Mike MacPherson, along with our Board of Directors at our 2019 Annual Meeting. The meeting will be held at Richlin Ballroom on Tuesday, April 9. Light dinner fare will be provided.
Please RSVP online or by calling our Contact Center at 1-800-440-4120. We look forward to seeing you there!
- Date: Tuesday, April 9, 2019
- Location: Richlin Ballroom, 1700 Van Bibber Rd, Edgewood, MD 21040
- Time: 7:00-8:00 PM; Doors open and reception begins at 6:00 PM
- Who May Attend: All Freedom members
Military Saves Week 2019 Seminars at APG
Celebrate for a week. Benefit for a Life.
Freedom is celebrating this year’s Military Saves Week, February 25–March 2, by matching deposits on new membership savings accounts for qualified military and DOD personnel and their families. New membership savings account deposits will be matched up to $100 for adults and up to $50 for kids.These offers are good through March 31, 2019.
Courtesy of the Aberdeen Proving Ground Family and MWR web site—
Learn to manage your finances and how little things can impact your credit scores, plus SO MUCH MORE. Get all the information below and register soon!
Location: AA Recreation Center, Bldg 3326, Erie St.
For more information or to register, contact Leary Henry at [email protected] or call 410-278-2453
Tues, Feb 26, 2019
- 10 – 11 a.m. Seminar: “Retirement Strategies for Baby Boomers”
This seminar discusses the challenges of planning for retirement and focuses on planning essentials to better position yourself for this next phase of your life.
- 11:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. Seminar: “Home Selling”
This seminar covers everything from staging to settlement learn to prepare and stage your home, gather the necessary documents and understand the process from hanging the for sale sign to settlement day.
- 12:30 – 1:30 p.m. Seminar: “Home Buying”
This seminar will cover current real estate market conditions, and how that relates to home buying. We will also provide take-home information packets that discuss the step-by-step process as well as useful tips in buying real estate.
Wed, Feb 27, 2019
- 10 – 11 a.m. Seminar: “Social Security Strategies for Retirement Planning”
This seminar discusses the challenges of applying for Social Security benefits. There will be a review of the Social Security program and how it ultimately impacts our retirement decisions, and specifically on “when and how” to file to maximize benefits.
- 11:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. Seminar: “Saving & Investing”
This class will identify reasons to save and how to set goals for a savings plan. Participants will explore the difference between short term savings and long term investments.
- 12:30 – 1:30 p.m. Seminar: “Reaching for the 850 Credit Score”
This class will identify the characteristics of credit impacting your credit score and discuss the steps to improve your credit and increase your credit score.
* All seminars are free, but registration is required. Contact Leary Henry at [email protected] or call 410-278-2453
Partnering with Freedom Federal Credit Union, APG Federal Credit Union and ACS Financial Readiness Program. No endorsement by U.S. Army implied.
How to Get Your Tax Documents
You can easily get your 2018 tax documents, in Online Banking or through the mail.
- Getting Tax Documents if you have Electronic Statements (e-Statements)
If you have e-Statements, 1099s and 1098s are archived and available in Online Banking. First, log in to Online Banking and click on “e-Statements”.** Once you’re in Online Banking, click the tab for “Tax Forms” to view and/or print your document.
- Getting Tax Documents if you DO NOT have Electronic Statements (e-Statements)
We mailed tax forms to members not registered for e-Statements. Forms went to the mailing address we have on file.
Not registered for e-Statements yet? Log in to Online Banking. Click on the e-Statements tab** and complete the registration steps. That’s all it takes for you to make the most of this convenient service.
Please remember to list Freedom online banking as a trusted site to prevent pop-up blockers from blocking access to e-statements.
If you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-440-4120, or email [email protected]
**Please be sure to disable your browser’s pop-up blocker to ensure our e-Statements page will load successfully for you.
Tax Code Changes—What You Need to Know
Although most changes won’t take effect until April 2019, some of them can impact the financial choices you’ll make this year. For that reason, here’s the details on the most important tax code changes.
- Changes to the amounts taxed for each income bracket
The 7 tax income brackets remain unchanged, but the amounts each bracket is taxed have gotten an overhaul. Here are the new rates for taxpayers filing as individuals.
Taxable Income Bracket Tax Due
10% $0-$9,700 10% of taxable income
12% $9,701–$39,475 $970 +12% of income $9,700+
22% $39,476–$84,200 $4,543+22% of income $39,475+
24% $84,201–$160,725 $14,382.50+24% of income $84,200+
32% $160,726–$204,100 $32,748.50+32% of income $160,725+
35% $204,101–$510,300 $46,628.50+35% of income $204,100+
37% $510,301+ $153,798.50+37% of income $510,300+
You can check out the taxable income rates for couples filing jointly and for individuals filing as heads of households here
- Changes in standard deduction amounts
The standard deduction in 2019 will be $12,200 for individuals, $18,350 for heads of household, or $24,400 for married couples filing jointly and surviving spouses.
- Elimination of personal exemptions
The personal exemption amount is being eliminated for the 2019 tax year.
- Changes to itemized deductions
- Medical and dental expenses. For 2019, you can only deduct those expenses exceeding 10% of your adjusted gross income (AGI).
- State and local taxes (SALT). The new maximum for SALT deductions is a combined total of $10,000 for taxpayers filing jointly.
- Home mortgage interest. In 2019, home interest payments will be maxed at $750,000 for married couples filing jointly.
- Job expenses and miscellaneous. In 2019, you can only claim work-related deductions that are less than 2% of your AGI.
- Changes to tax credits
- Child Tax Credit. The child tax credit has increased to $2,000 per child.
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The maximum EITC amount for 2019 is $6,557 for married taxpayers filing jointly who have three or more children.
- Adoption Credit. The maximum adoption credit in 2019 for a child with special needs is $14,080. The ceiling for other adoptions is $13,810.
- Lifetime Learning Credit. For 2019, the AGI used by joint filers to determine the reduction in the Lifetime Learning Credit is increasing to $116,000.
- Retirement account contributions
For 2019, you can contribute a total of $6,000 to one or more traditional or Roth IRA(s) if you’re under age 50, and $7,000 if you’re age 50+. For 401(k)s, you can contribute $19,000, and $25,000 if you’re age 50+.
2019 Branch Closings Schedule
Observance of federal holidays will cause branch closings in 2019. See the listing below for specific dates. Please call our Contact Center at 800-440-4120 with any questions.
Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 28
Christmas Eve, Tuesday, December 24—closing at 1:00 P.M.
Christmas Day, Wednesday, December 25
New Year’s Eve, Tuesday, December 3—closing at 1:00 P.M.
New Year’s Day 2020—Wednesday, January 1, 2020
Here at Freedom we appreciate and value all our members and local partners. We are a community-chartered credit union offering financial services to those who live, work, volunteer, worship, attend school, or have family in Harford County. Freedom has been in business since 1953 and has five locations throughout Harford County.
We are reaching out today because we need your vote to win best Bank/Credit Union in the Harford’s Best Readers Poll. With your help, we would like to be voted Harford’s Best Credit Union in 2018!
Votes are being collected now until 5pm on December 14th. Please click on the link below and select Freedom Federal Credit Union to vote for us on Question #7-Best Bank/Credit Union.
Freedom Federal Credit Union is excited to introduce our new and improved financial management tool, MoneySmart, now available to all Freedom Members for FREE. MoneySmart will replace the current financial management tool, My Financial Advisor, effective September 30th.
MoneySmart makes it easier to manage money, monitor spending and actually see where your money goes. If you want to save money, improve financial health and make financial management easier, this is great news for you.
**Important Information for Current My Financial Advisor Users**
Your Freedom Federal Credit Union deposit account history for the past 90 days will carry over into the new MoneySmart tool. However, the remaining budgeting information you have saved within My Financial Advisor will not automatically carry over to the new MoneySmart system. We recommend you export your existing information, prior to September 30th, to ensure no loss of data.
You can export your My Financial Advisor budgeting information by following these simple steps:
1. Log into Home Banking
2. Click on the “My Financial” Tab
3. Click on “Budget” located on the blue tool bar
4. Select the month you would like to download and click “Export” on the right hand side of the window.
5. Save the file
We apologize for any inconvenience this transition may cause.
Please export your data from My Financial Advisor by 11:59 PM on September 30th to preserve your data.
- Benefits of MoneySmart:
- A more complete financial picture, with the ability to sync your accounts from more than 17,000 financial institutions.
- Automatically tagged and categorized transactions, so it’s easier to understand spending habits.
- Better visual tracking of your progress, allowing you to reach financial goals quicker and easier.
- A cashflow calendar that shows what is coming in and going out.
MoneySmart makes it easier than ever to stay on track, set goals, and maintain your finances responsibly.