Dream

There’s a song from the musical Man of la Mancha called The Impossible Dream.  It’s a powerful song starting off with the words:
“To dream the impossible dream.  To fight the unbeatable foe. To bear with unbearable sorrow and to run where the brave dare not go.”   

Intense, huh?  The song basically talks about following your dreams that seem like they would never be achievable, to do what’s right and to be willing to go through difficulties in order to reach your ultimate goal which is referred to as the unreachable star.  I see the Freedom mission in this.

If you think about it, we’re in a business where we compete with other, not just large, but humungous, financial institutions.  How do we stand out?  How do we contend?  How do we survive and grow when others have more resources?

By doing what’s right that’s how.  Right for our members, for our employees and for our community.  By being a trusted partner and by putting people before profit.  Seventy years in business may seem like a drop in the bucket to some, but it’s not the number of years, it’s what you do with them.

From my perspective, we’ve used that time, especially in the most recent years, to dream the impossible dream and keep reaching for that unreachable star.  The journey can be challenging.  It requires resiliency, flexibility, patience, commitment, and a belief that we make a difference.

I’ve seen the difference we make, and I believe our continued success is because others have seen it too.  But we’re not done yet.  In fact, we’ve only just begun.  There are still foes to fight and stars to reach and the dream gets more possible every day.

Deep Impact

This may start out a little morose but stay with me… 

Last night I had a dream where I found out my father died.  In actuality, he passed away October 8th, 2003 (20 years ago).  The thing about this dream was the impact it had both while I was sleeping and after it woke me in the wee hours of the morning.  I felt, intensely, all the anguish, sorrow, heartbreak, loss one would expect in the dream, but upon waking those feelings lingered for some time after.

It was difficult to shake.  I’m not sure what triggered the dream, but you know me, I figured there was some purpose, and, in my head, I started forming what is now this message.  In conjunction with this nocturnal event, I remembered that just a couple days ago I was talking with one of my brothers about the time since our father’s passing and he asked, rhetorically I’m sure, why it seemed like yesterday.

I, of course, endeavored to respond and the answer that immediately came to mind was, “it was because of the impact he had”.  That conversation, the dream, all got me thinking about the impact we make on those around us and what we leave behind.

In emails, meetings, and public speaking opportunities, I’m always talking about “the experience”; how the member experience and employee experience are the two absolute pillars of Freedom’s culture and strategy.  It’s our why.

I met a lady recently at one of our Business After Hours events who recently found out about us and moved all her accounts and loans from one of the big banks to Freedom.  Oh, she told me about the things we did, how we saved her money, dropped her auto loan rates, how we simplified her banking, etc., but what really meant the most, what had the biggest impact, was how she was treated and how wonderful the people she’s dealt with are.  She raved not only to me, but to anyone that would listen.  Talk about a testimonial!

That moment was a tangible realization, a validation, that each of us can have a positive impact on those around us.  That what we do and say to one another, to our members, in the community, can make a difference.

I’ve always said banking is what we do, not who we are, but really who we are AND what we do is so much more when we realize that someone and some point will be better off because of our involvement or intervention.

I know this won’t always happen and not everyone will be impacted in some transformative way, but if we start with one, who knows where that will lead.  In a world where we are inundated with negativity, where there is more talk about what makes us different than unites us, where there isn’t enough rational discourse and tolerance, I’ll gladly focus on the impact we make on one and build on it.

“One moment can change a day, one day can change a life, and one life can change the world.”  ~ Buddha

The Freedom Way

The last time I wrote one of these philosophies it referenced change. 

At that time, my focus was on the never-changing aspect of our culture; how the core of who we are and why we do what we do is, and will be, a necessary constant.

Of course, change in some form or fashion is inevitable.

But you know what I love about Freedom?  It’s that when change does come, we adapt, and we thrive.  Pandemic, economy, technology, staffing, no matter the impetus, we trust one another, we rely on each other, and we succeed.

That’s not an opinion, not wishful thinking.  That’s a fact.

There is an evolution to everything and when we embrace that, use that as fuel to move us forward, we can accomplish great things.

This is the Way

We’re told change is good, and while I believe that’s true in many cases, I also believe some things shouldn’t change.

…like the culture at Freedom.

Now, culture has become a bit of buzz word these days, but I go back to October 2015 when I made my first address to Freedom as the CEO.  On that day I quoted Maya Angelou by saying, “people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel”.

From that day our culture was set and our focus has been on the member and employee experience; to make people feel something positive.  I never heard that quote before then and never really heard people talk about culture much, but nowadays, I hear that quote and the word ‘culture’ tossed around a lot in business.  I won’t lie, it makes me feel like a bit of a trailblazer and it reinforces my commitment to the “Freedom way”.

I don’t care what outside pressure comes, what competition surfaces, what hurdles are placed before us.  We will not abandon doing what is right for our members, our community and each other.

People helping people has long been a catch phrase of the credit union movement so it’s not unique to Freedom, but how we put that into practice, how we make that real as best we can every day, is where we distinguish ourselves.  I know that isn’t easy, I know we may have limitations at times, but I also know what we are building together is right.

I hear it from members, from you, and I see it in the community.  Of course, though we can feel good about what we’ve accomplished so far, we must also continue to achieve the results that support our culture.

That’s why it is important to tell our story, so people understand that the more business they do with Freedom, the more it benefits themselves and their community.  Normal everyday “banking”, the same stuff so many financial institutions offer, can have a more positive impact at Freedom because of the “Freedom way” and how we put that into practice.

Simply put, ours is a symbiotic relationship between Freedom, its members and the communities we serve and support.

This is the way.

One Man’s Trash

At what point in our evolution as a society was the decision made to discard trash anywhere you like: out the window of a car, gum spat on a sidewalk, cans/bottles left wherever they were emptied down a gullet? Was there a vote?

The other day I was walking with my son through the neighborhood. There was an empty box of candy in the grass and without a word, he bent down and picked it up. Before we got back home where he threw it in the trash can, I said, as if he was still a child, “why’d you pick that up? You don’t know where it’s been.” He held it up and said, “if everyone just did one little thing, the world would be a better place”. I found that moment very profound. A lesson learned somewhere along the way and an attitude that can inspire.

So, when I talk about how Freedom is built to put people first, to improve our community, to do good, it’s in the hope others might be motivated to act in kind and, in turn, do business with us so we can continue that mission. After all, one person can make a difference, why shouldn’t Freedom.

Is The Work/Life Balance a Myth?

Is The Work Life Balance a Myth?
Is The Work Life Balance a Myth Header Image

Balancing a personal life with a career can be a lifelong struggle. Work obligations, stresses and interruptions can impinge on the time you spend with family, friends and pursuing your own interests. On the flip side, family and other personal obligations can interrupt work responsibilities and professional goals. Fortunately, the perfect work-life balance is not a myth. All it takes is some focused prioritizing and practical measures.

Prioritize Your Time – The first step in achieving the perfect work-life balance is deciding what is most important to you. If your goal is to spend more time with your family, you may need to cut back on work hours or delegate some responsibilities to your team members. If you feel like you’re neglecting your work, you may need to set aside more time for focused work. To do this, you may need to create a schedule that establishes specific times for work, exercise, family time and self-care. Stick to your schedule as much as possible to ensure you’re using your time effectively.

Practice Mindfulness – When your mind is pulled in two different directions, you can feel unfocused and unsettled. Instead, try to practice mindfulness, which allows you to be present in the moment and avoid distractions. Start by taking a few minutes each day to meditate or practice deep breathing. This will help you clear your mind and reduce stress. You can also take breaks throughout the workday to stretch, meditate or take a walk. This will help you stay focused and avoid burnout.

Carve Out Time for Self-Care – Self-care is an essential component of the perfect work-life balance. Consider scheduling it into your daily routine so you never forget to incorporate it into your day. Self-care can include anything that relaxes and recharges you, like exercise, reading or spending time with friends and family.

Be Flexible – Life is unpredictable, and you’ll inevitably face unexpected challenges and responsibilities. To be flexible, learn to adapt to changes in your schedule or plans. Be willing to adjust your priorities when necessary, and don’t be too hard on yourself if things don’t go exactly as planned.

Follow these tips to achieve that elusive work-life balance.

Freedom Federal Credit Union Relocates Branch in Havre de Grace

The New Swan Creek Location in Ames Plaza Shopping Center Officially Opens on April 26th

New Swan Creek Location in Havre de Grace
Freedom Federal Credit Union’s new Swan Creek Branch is conveniently located in Havre de Grace on Pulaski Highway close to Aberdeen, APG, and many local Havre de Grace businesses and residential neighborhoods.

Havre de Grace, MD – Freedom Federal Credit Union will be relocating their Swan Creek branch in Havre de Grace branch to a new full-service location less than half a mile away.  The new Swan Creek branch will be located at 2025 Pulaski Highway in Ames Plaza Shopping Center, adjacent to Seidenberg Protzko Eye Associates, Harford County’s Office of Economic Development, The GroundFloor, Swan Creek Veterinary Clinic, Upper Chesapeake Health Outpatient Offices, among many other local businesses.

The branch features a full-service lobby and a two-lane drive-thru, a 24/7 drive-up ATM, a free coin machine for members, provides ample parking, and allows for easy traffic flow and access.  Financial Service Representatives will be in-person, and onsite, to support all business and individual banking needs.

Emily AbtsEmily Abts has been appointed the location’s new Branch Manager. Abts has been a Freedom team member for almost seven years, most recently serving as Assistant Branch Manager at the former Swan Creek location in Havre de Grace since 2021. Abts has earned a reputation for her cheerful disposition and reliable expertise.

Abts and her team are looking forward to the move. “The new branch is going to be a real bonus to our members,” stated Abts.  “It’s more accessible, and I know our members are going to appreciate the efficiency and ease of having a drive-thru, along with all the other amenities we’re planning to offer at our new location.”

“We want our members to know that we’ve listened to their feedback and are committed to exceptional member service. This new branch is absolutely a reflection of that commitment. We can’t wait to see our friends, old and new, walk through the doors and see it for themselves,” commented Abts.

Thanks to the branch’s larger footprint, Freedom is planning to offer a wider array of financial services to its members.  Those plans will be finalized in the coming months.  The branch will hold its first Community Shred Day from 9am – 12pm on Saturday, June 3rd, where anyone can bring up to four boxes of financial documents to safely shred on site for free.  The Credit Union will also be hosting a family-friendly celebration in honor of its grand opening and celebrating 70 years of service to the community on May 20th from 10am-1pm.

The new branch will be open on April 26th at 9am. In preparation for the move, the former location in the Swan Harbor Village shopping center will be closed April 24th and April 25th.

“Even as we continue to invest in technology that makes access to banking easier and more available from anywhere, we have not lost sight of the importance of the human connection,” Mike MacPherson, Freedom’s President and CEO, shared in a statement.  “The relocation of our Swan Creek branch to a bigger and better location is part of our commitment to enhance and provide the best in-person member experience.”

Favorite Things

You know what some of my favorite things are?  When two people are walking down the sidewalk side by side and another couple approaches also walking side by side, I like when someone from each pair goes in front or behind the other, single file, so passing is easy.  I like it when I see people walking through a parking lot, picking up trash and properly disposing of it even though it isn’t their trash.

Know what else?  I like it when you hold a door for someone, and they say thank you or when you let someone in in front of you while driving and they give you a wave of appreciation.  I think I like these things more than ever because they seem to be getting rarer and rarer.  They shouldn’t be rare.  They should be commonplace, common courtesy, common sense, whatever you want to label it.

It sometimes seems human beings have become an entitled bunch.  Can’t get to the front fast enough, can’t wait, can’t understand, can’t talk, can’t empathize.  As the Beatles song goes, “All through the day, I, me, mine. I, me, mine, I, me, mine”.  I realize that doesn’t apply to everyone, but it sure seems more frequent than ever.

That’s why, at Freedom, we emphasize the little things.  A greeting, a smile, a pleasant tone, a commitment to help, to serve and deliver a positive experience even if the face of difficult times.  We can’t change the world, but we can do our part, and by our example, we encourage others to do the same.