My car has been deemed a total loss, what now?

The first step is to contact Freedom at 1-800-440-4120. Once we are aware of the total loss, we will contact the insurance company that is handling the claim. We will complete necessary paperwork to ensure that the claim is processed within a timely manner. Freedom will initiate warranty cancellations with the appropriate dealership, if applicable. Freedom will also initiate the GAP claim, if applicable, once the insurance settlement has been received. Payments should be maintained until the loan has been paid in full.

Common next steps